|Short Name:||Mary Bowley Peters|
|Full Name:||Peters, Mary Bowley, 1813-1856|
|Birth Year (est.):||1806|
See also Mary P. Bowly.
Peters, Mary, née Bowly, daughter of Richard Bowly, of Cirencester, was born in 1813, and subsequently married to the Rev. John McWilliam Peters, sometime Rector of Quennington, Gloucestershire, and died at Clifton, July 29, 1856. Her prose work, The World’s History from the Creation to the Accession of Queen Victoria, was published in seven volumes. Several of her hymns were contributed to the Plymouth Brethren's Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs, London, D. Walther, 1842. These with others, 58 in all, were published by Nisbet & Co., London, 1847, as Hymns intended to help the Communion of Saints. Dr. Walker introduced several from these collections into his Cheltenham Psalms & Hymns, 1855. Many of these have been repeated in Snepp's Songs of Grace & Glory, 1872. and other Church of England hymnbooks. These include, besides those annotated under their respective first lines :—
i. From Psalms, Hymns, & Sacred Songs, 1842:—
1. Blessed Lord, our hearts are panting. Buria. Given in later collections as "Blessed Lord, our souls are longing."
2. How can there be one holy thought! Holiness through Christ.
3. Jesus, how much Thy Name unfolds. The Name of Jesus.
4. Lord, we see the day approaching. Second Advent.
5. 0 Lord, we know it matters not. Taught by the Spirit.
6. The murmurs of the wilderness. Praise to Jesus.
7. The saints awhile dispersed abroad. God within us.
8. Unworthy is thanksgiving. Jesus the Mediator.
9. Whom have we, Lord, but Thee. Christ All in All.
10. With thankful hearts we meet, 0 Lord. Public Worship.
From her Hymns, &c, 1847:—
11. Earth's firmest ties will perish. Burial.
12. Enquire, my soul, enquire. Second Advent.
13. Hallelujah, we are hastening. Journeying Heavenward.
14. Holy Father, we address Thee. Holy Trinity.
15. Jesus, of Thee we ne'er would tire. Holy Communion.
16. Lord Jesus, in Thy Name alone. Holy Communion.
17. Lord, through the desert drear and wide. Prayer for Perseverance.
18. Many sons to glory bring. Security in Christ.
19. 0 Lord, whilst we confess the worth. Dead in Christ. Sometimes it begins with st. ii., "Dead to the world we here avow."
20. Our God is light, we do not go. Christ the Guide.
21. Praise ye the Lord, again, again. Public Worship.
22. Salvation to our God. Passiontide.
23. The holiest we enter. Public Worship. Sometimes given as "The holiest now we enter."
24. Through the love of God our Saviour. Security in Christ.
25. Thy grace, 0 Lord, to us hath shown. Offertory.
26. We're pilgrims in the wilderness. Life a Pilgrimage.
-- John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)
|Texts by Mary Bowley Peters (26)||As||Instances|
|Around thy table, holy Lord (Peters)||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||2|
|Blessed Lord, our souls are longing||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||3|
|By thee, O God, invited||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||3|
|Holy Father, we address thee||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||7|
|耶穌！你名何等芬芳，在蒙恩人身上！(Yēsū! Nǐ míng héděng fēnfāng, zài méng ēnrén shēnshang!)||Mary B. Peters (Author)||2|
|Jesus, how much Thy name unfolds||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||11|
|Jesus, of thee we ne'er would tire||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||1|
|Lord Jesus, in thy name alone||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||5|
|Lord, through the desert drear and wide||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||6|
|Lord, we see the day approaching||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||6|
|Lord, while we here confess||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||1|
|Many sons to glory bringing||Mary B. Peters (Author)||1|
|O blessed Lord, what hast thou done||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||3|
|O Lord, how blest our jouney||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||2|
|O Lord, how much thy name unfolds||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||2|
|O Lord, we know it matters not||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||2|
|O Lord, while we confess the worth||Mary B. Peters (Author)||23|
|Of thee, we would never tire||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||2|
|One spirit with the Lord||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||3|
|Praise ye the Lord, again, again||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||2|
|The holiest we enter in perfect peace with God||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||2|
|Through the love of God our Savior||Mary Peters (Author)||136|
|Unworthy is thanksgiving||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||2|
|We are by Christ redeemed||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||5|
|Whom have we, Lord, but thee||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||2|
|With thankful hearts we meet, O Lord||Mary Bowley Peters (Author)||8|