1821 - 1902 Author of "A Parting Hymn We Sing" in Trinity Hymnal (Rev. ed.) Wolfe, Aaron Robarts, was born at Mendham, New Jersey, Sep. 6, 1821, and educated at Williams College, 1844; and the Union Theological Seminary, New York, 1851. On April 9, 1851, he was licensed by the Third Presbytery of New York. For some lime he had charge of a school for young ladies at Tallahassee, Florida; and in 1859 he established "The Hillside Seminary for Young Ladies" at Montclair, New Jersey. In 1858 he contributed 7 hymns under the signature "A. R. W." to Hastings's Church Melodies. These are:—
1. A Parting hymn we sing. Close of Holy Communion.
2. Complete in Thee, no work of mine. Complete in Christ. Published in the N. Y. Evangelist, 1850 or 51.
3. Draw near, O Holy Dove, draw near. Holy Communion.
4. How blest indeed are they. In the Likeness of Christ.
5. My God, I thank Thee for the guide. Conscience.
6. Mysterious influence divine. The Cross of Christ.
7. Thou Maker of our mortal frame. Chief end of Man.
The most popular of these hymns are Nos. 1, 2, and 3. [Rev. F. M. Bird, M.A.]
-- John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)
Aaron R. Wolfe