1834 - 1925Hymnal Title: Protestant Madagascar Hymnal, 2001Author of "Ry fitiavan'i Jesosy (The love of Jesus)" in Protestant Madagascar Hymnal, 2001 Francis, Samuel Trevor, son of an artist, was born at Cheshunt, Herts, in 1835, and is a merchant in London. He has written numerous hymns, which have been printed in various religious newspapers and periodicals during the past 30 years. Of these hymns the following are in the Enlarged London Hymn Book, 1873:—
1. Blessed, blessed Jesus. Pressing Onward.
2. Gracious Saviour, grant Thy word. Lent.
3. Home, home of light and glory. Heaven Desired.
4. I am waiting for the dawning. Heaven Anticipated.
5. Jesus, we remember Thee. Passiontide.
6. O child of sorrow, weary, distressed. Salvation in Jesus only.
7. O Jesus, how great is Thy mercy. Salvation in Jesus.
8. Safe to land, no shadows darken. Death and Burial. Printed in Word and Work.
9. The pearly gates are open. Heaven. In W. Carter's Gospel Hymn Book, 1863.
10. We are pilgrims far from our fatherland. Heaven Desired.
Of these hymns Nos. 1, 2, 4-7 first appeared in the Enlarged London Hymn Book, 1873. Mr. Francis also published in 1891 Gems from the Revised Version with Poems.
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology, Appendix, Part II (1907)