1. God of love, that hearest prayer,
Kindly for Thy people care,
Who on Thee alone depend:
Love us, save us to the end.
2. Save us, in the prosperous hour,
From the flattering tempter’s power,
From his unsuspected wiles,
From the world’s pernicious smiles.
3. Cut off our dependence vain
On the help of feeble man,
Every arm of flesh remove;
Stay us on Thy only love!
4. Men of worldly, low design,
Let not these Thy people join,
Poison our simplicity,
Drag us from our trust in Thee.
5. Save us from the great and wise,
Till they sink in their own eyes,
Tamely to Thy yoke submit,
Lay their honors at Thy feet.
6. Never let the world break in;
Fix a mighty gulf between:
Keep us little and unknown,
Prized and loved by God alone.
7. Let us still to Thee look up,
Thee, Thy Israel’s strength and hope;
Nothing know, or seek, beside
Jesus, and Him crucified.
8. Far above all earthly things,
Look we down on earthly kings;
Taste our glorious liberty,
Find our happiness in Thee!
|First Line:||God of Love, who hearest prayer|
|Title:||God of Love, That Hearest Prayer|
|Source:||Hymns for Those That Seek and Those That Have Redemption in the Blood of Jesus Christ, 1747 (a cento from "God of Love That Hear'st the Prayer")|