1. Hail, sovereign love that formed the plan
To save rebellious, ruined man!
Hail, matchless, free, eternal grace,
That gave my soul a hiding-place.
2. Against the God that rules the sky,
I fought, with weapons lifted high,
I madly ran the sinful race,
Regardless of a hiding-place.
3. Enwrapped in thick Egyptian night,
And fond of darkness more than light,
Madly I ran the sinful race,
Secure without a hiding place.
4. But thus th’ eternal counsel ran,
Almighty Love, arrest that man!
I felt the arrows of distress,
And found I had no hiding place.
5. Indignant justice stood in view,
To Sinai’s fiery mount I flew,
But Justice cried with frowning face,
This mountain is no hiding place!
6. But a celestial voice I heard,
A bleeding Savior then appeared;
Led by the Spirit of His grace,
I found in Him a hiding-place.
7. On Him the weight vengeance fell,
That else sunk a world to hell;
Then, O my soul, forever praise
Thy Savior God, thy hiding-place!
8. Should storms of sevenfold vengeance roll,
And shake this earth from pole to pole;
No flaming bolt could daunt my face,
For Jesus is my hiding place.
9. A few more rolling suns at most,
Shall land me safe on Heaven’s coast.
There I shall sing the song of grace,
To Jesus Christ, my hiding place!
Source: The Cyber Hymnal #2620
|Instances (1 - 1 of 1)||Title||First Line||Tune||Tune Key||Author||Meter||Scripture||Date||Subject||Source|
|The Cyber Hymnal #2620||Hail, Sovereign Love||Hail, sovereign love that formed the plan||DUANE STREET||Jehoida Brewer||LMD||<cite>Gospel Magazine</cite>, October 1776|