Cushing, William Orcutt , born at Hingham, Massachusetts, Dec. 31, 1823, is the author of the following hymns which appear in I. D. Sankey's Sacred Songs and Solos:—
1. Beautiful valley of Eden. Heaven.
2. Down in the valley with my Saviour I would go. Trusting to Jesus.
3. Fair is the morning land. Heaven.
4. I am resting so sweetly in Jesus now. Rest and Peace in Jesus.
5. I have heard of a land far away. Heaven.
6. O safe to the Rock that is higher than I. The Rock of Ages.
1. Ring the bells of heaven, there is joy today. Heavenly Joy over repenting Sinners.
8. We are watching, we are waiting. Second Advent anticipated.
Mr. Cushing has also several additional hymns in some American Sunday School collections… Go to person page >
Translator: E. Gebhardt
Ernst (Heinrich) Gebhardt (1832-1899), a Methodist minister of Germany, spent some time in South America and North America and England accompanying R. Pearsail Smith as song leader at his evangelistic meetings. Gebhardt wrote many original hymns and translated over 50 Gospel hymns from English into German, most of them Moody and Sankey songs. They appeared in his Frohe Botschaft and Evangeliums-Lieder (C. F. Spittler, Basel), which were distributed in Europe and America in innumerable volumes. He was the compiler and editor of many other songbooks.
Gebhardt's translations of such songs as "Rock of Ages"—"Fels des Heils," and "Oh, Have You Not Heard"—"Ich weiss einen Strom" seem to have more poetic quality than the English. His contri… Go to person page >