1. If to the hills I lift mine eyes,
From whence should come mine aid?
2. My help doth from Jehovah come;
Who heaven, and earth, hath made.
3. He'll keep thy feet from dangerous falls;
Thy guardian never sleeps.
4. Nor sleep, nor slumber, touch the eyes,
Of him that Israel keeps.
5. The Lord's thy keeper, he, thy shade,
Stands by thee on thy right;
6. Lest scorching sun offend by day;
Or moon's cold damps by night.
7. The Lord shall keep thee from all harms;
Preserve thy soul from ill.
8. Thy going out; and coming in,
Keeps now, and ever will.
John Barnard, born in Boston, Nov. 6, 1681; in 1752 made a version of psalms with the music; settled at Marblehead; introduced new music ther; died Jan 14, 1770, aged 89.
A Dictionary of Musical Information by John W. Moore, Boston: Oliver, Ditson & Company, 1876
Go to person page >