Olearius, Johannes, son of Johann Olearius, pastor of St. Mary's Church and superintendent at Halle, was born at Halle, Sept. 17, (N.S.) 1611. He entered the University of Wittenberg in 1629 (M.A. 1632, D.D. 1643], where he became lecturer, and, in 1635, adjunct of the philosophical faculty. In 1637 he became Superintendent at Querfurt; and, in 1643, was appointed by Duke August of Sachsen-Weissenfels as his chief court preacher, and private chaplain at Halle, where he became in 1657 Kirchenrath, and in 1664 General Superintendent. When, on the death of Duke August in 1680, the administration of Magdeburg fell to the Elector of Brandenburg, Duke Johann Adolf gave Olearius similar appointments at Weissenfels, which he held till his death on… Go to person page >
Translator: E. Cronenwett
Cronenwett, Emmanuel, a Lutheran Pastor at Butler, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., contributed to the Evangelical Lutheran Hymnal, Published by Order of the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio and other States, 1880, in addition to 20 translations from the German, the following original hymns, some of which rank with the best in the collection:—
1. A holy state is wedded life. Domestic Worship.
2. Faith is wisdom from on high. Faith.
3. Heavenly Father, Jesus taught us. Prayer.
4. Lord, Thine omniscience I adore. Omniscience.
5. O Triune God, Thy blessing great. Domestic Worship.
6. Of omniscient grace I sing. Omniscience.
7. Of Zion's honour angels sing. Ordination.
8. The precepts of the word are pure.… Go to person page >
Display Title: The New Church Year Again Is ComeFirst Line: The new church year again is comeAuthor: J. Olearius, 1611-84 ; E. Cronenwett, 1841-1931Meter: 88 88 4Date: 1996Subject: Jesus, The Coming King | ; Advent 1 |