Johannes Olearius (b. Halle, Germany, 1611; d. Weissenfels, Germany, 1684) Born into a family of Lutheran theologians, Olearius received his education at the University of Wittenberg and later taught theology there. He was ordained a Lutheran pastor and appointed court preacher to Duke August of Sachsen-Weissenfels in Halle and later to Duke Johann Adolph in Weissenfels. Olearius wrote a commentary on the entire Bible, published various devotional books, and produced a translation of the Imitatio Christi by Thomas a Kempis. In the history of church music Olearius is mainly remembered for his hymn collection, which was widely used in Lutheran churches.
Bert Polman… Go to person page >
Translator: E. Cronenwett
Cronenwett, Emmanuel, a Lutheran Pastor at Butler, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., contributed to the Evangelical Lutheran Hymnal, Published by Order of the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio and other States, 1880, in addition to 20 translations from the German, the following original hymns, some of which rank with the best in the collection:—
1. A holy state is wedded life. Domestic Worship.
2. Faith is wisdom from on high. Faith.
3. Heavenly Father, Jesus taught us. Prayer.
4. Lord, Thine omniscience I adore. Omniscience.
5. O Triune God, Thy blessing great. Domestic Worship.
6. Of omniscient grace I sing. Omniscience.
7. Of Zion's honour angels sing. Ordination.
8. The precepts of the word are pure.… Go to person page >
Display Title: The New Church Year Again Is ComeFirst Line: The new church year again is comeAuthor: J. Olearius, 1611-84 ; E. Cronenwett, 1841-1931Meter: 88 88 4Date: 1996Subject: Jesus, The Coming King | ; Advent 1 |