1. The Son forsook the Father’s home
For mercy to lost man,
And did not scorn the virgin’s womb
To bear the sinner’s ban.
2. Meekly the maiden pure believed
The great archangel’s word,
And by the Holy Ghost conceived
The Savior Christ the Lord.
3. The Word made flesh creation sees,
Its mighty God in man:
Great mystery of mysteries
Since ever time began!
4. That we might gain a second birth
The Holy Son was giv’n:
’Twas God Himself came down to earth
To win us back to Heav’n.
5. Lord! we believe with love and praise
This wondrous truth of Thee:
Thereby in all our troublous days
How strong henceforth are we!
6. So near art Thou, so strong are we,
For now, if we are Thine,
Our brother in humanity,
Thou makest us divine!
7. We see with peace in times of fear
Serene Thy human form
Thy human voice with joy we hear,
Sweet-toned above the storm.
8. So dread we not the deathly strife,
Knowing that Thou hast died:
It can but bear us into life,
Since nearer to Thy side!
|First Line:||The Son forsook the Father's home|
|Title:||The Son Forsook the Father's Home|
|Author:||Samuel J. Stone (1866)|
|Source:||Lyra Fidelium; Twelve Hymns of the Twelve Articles of the Apostle's Creed (London: Messrs. Parker and Co., 1866)|
|Notes:||Alternate tune: MANOAH, arranged from Gioachino A. Rossini by Henry W. Greatorex, 1851|