1. With mournful voice, and ardent cries,
To God, I made my prayer;
I oft to God my suit renewed,
And he to me gave ear.
2. In my sad day, I sought the Lord,
My hands stretched forth by night,
And ceased not; my burdened soul
No comfort could admit.
3. I thought on God, the great and good,
But yet I found no rest;
I poured out my complaint, and still
My mind remained oppressed.
4. Thou hold'st mine eyes awake; my grief's
So great I cannot speak.
5. From former days, and ancient times,
I then relief did seek.
6. I called to mind my songs, by night
I communed with my heart;
My spirit searched the hidden cause,
And end, with all her art.
7. "Forever, will the Lord cast off?
Will he no more be kind?
8. Is Mercy wholly spent; his word
Forever out of mind?
9. "Has God forgot to show his grace?
Doth wrath his love restrain?"
10. I said, "the Change in God's right hand,
'Tis this that gives me pain."
11. But I'll remind Jehovah's works,
Thy wonders wrought of old:
12. On all thy works I'll meditate,
Thy doings shall be told.
1e. Thy way, O God, is in the height;
Great as our God, there's none.
14. Thou God dost wonders; thou, thy strength,
Hast to the people shown.
15. Thy people, by thy mighty arm,
Thou hast from bondage freed;
The offspring of thy favorites,
Jacob's and Joseph's seed.
16. The waters saw thee, mighty God,
Thee did the waters see;
They fled for fear, the depths retired,
Struck with the awe of thee.
17. The clouds abundant waters poured,
The sky sent forth a sound;
Thy pointed arrows armed with wrath,
In vengeance flew around.
18. Thy awful voice, from heaven above,
In roaring thunders, broke;
The lower world with lightnings blazed,
The earth was moved and shook.
19. Thy way is in the rowling sea;
(A wondrous way we own!)
Thy path through mighty waters lies;
Thy footsteps are unknown.
20. Thou led'st thy people, like a flock,
By Moses's skillful hand,
And Aaron's. through the wilderness,
Safe to the promised land.
A New Version of the Psalms of David, 1752
|Instances (1 - 1 of 1)||Title||First Line||Tune||Tune Key||Author||Meter||Scripture||Date||Subject||Source|
|A New Version of the Psalms of David: Fitted to the Tunes Used in the Churches, With Several Hymns Out of the Old, and New, Testament #137||With mournful Voice, and ardent Cries||With mournful Voice, and ardent Cries||1752|