1. Lo! now the time accepted peals
Its tidings of release;
A time that with salvation heals,
And to repentant tears reveals
The mercy seat of peace.
2. Then let us wisely now restrain
Our food, our drink, our sleep;
From idle word and jest refrain
And steadfastly begin again
A stricter watch to keep.
3. Now Heav’n-taught love will haste to rise
And seek the cheerless bed,
Where cold and wan the sufferer lies,
And Christ Himself to heedful eyes
Is hungering for bread.
4. ’Tis now that zealous charity
Her goods more largely spends,
Lays up her treasure in the sky,
And freely yields, ere death draw nigh,
To God the wealth He lends.
5. Then consecrate us, Lord, anew,
And fire our hearts with love;
That all we think, and all we do,
Within, without, be pure and true,
Rekindled from above.
6. Now fuller praise and glory be
To Thee, the First and Last,
And make us, blessèd Trinity,
More faithful soldiers, worthier Thee,
Through this our chastening fast.Source: The Cyber Hymnal #3872