Do you search for hymns and worship music for worship services? Are you researching a particular hymn? Looking for an arrangement or media file? If so, Hymnary.org is for you. Hymnary.org is an online hymn and worship music database for
worship leaders, hymnologists, and amateur hymn lovers alike. At Hymnary.org you can search or browse hymns by title, tune, meter, key, scripture reference, and more.
In partnership with The Hymn Society in the United States and Canada, Hymnary.org now houses the Dictionary of North American Hymnology -- making Hymnary.org the most complete database of North American hymnody on the planet.
How to Search
- Use the "Search the entire Hymnary" box on the top right corner for a Google-like search of everything.
- For more flexible searches use the Advanced Search page.
- You can also restrict your search to just hymnals in your own collection. First, go to your My Hymnals page. After you have added some hymnals, you can use the "My Hymnals" checkbox on the Advanced Search page to search only within the hymnals you own.
- For more about searching, have a look at our search tips page.
How to Help
Volunteers play a pivotal role at Hymnary.org. If you'd like to add a favorite hymnal, proofread existing information, become an editor, or otherwise help out, have a look at our volunteer page.
Please see our frequently asked questions page. For questions regarding FlexScores, please see our FlexScore frequently asked questions page.
Staff and Editorial Board
Hymnary.org was started in 2007 and it is located at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Staff includes a program manager, programmers, editors and administrators.
An editorial board sets policy and creates editing standards. The board has the following members:
- Swee Hong Lim is the Deer Park Assistant Professor of Sacred Music at Emmanuel College, and the Director of the Master of Sacred Music Program. He is currently serving as Director of Research for The Hymn Society in the United States and Canada.
- David W. Music (2016) is Professor of Church Music in the School of Music at Baylor University, Waco, Texas. He previously taught at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas, and California Baptist College, Riverside, California.
- Harry Plantinga is a professor of computer science at Calvin College, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He is the director of ccel.org and hymnary.org.
- Greg Scheer
is a composer (Augsburg Fortress, GIA, Abingdon Press), an author (The Art of Worship-Baker 2006, contributions to The Hymn, Call to Worship, Worship Leader), a minister of worship at Church of the Servant in Grand Rapids, and music associate at the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship who maintains an online home.
- Tina Schneider, Professor and Library Director at The Ohio State University at Lima, is the editor of the Dictionary of North American Hymnology. From 2008 to 2014, she served as Director of Research for the Hymn Society in the United States and Canada.
- Mary Louise VanDyke, Fellow of the Hymn Society, recently "retired" after 25 years serving as reference/research librarian for The Dictionary of American Hymnology at Oberlin College. Along with co-editing the Dictionary of American Hymnology, she organized hymn festivals, taught hymnology courses, presented papers, reviewed hymnals, mounted hymn exhibits, published articles, advised many hymnal editors and worked closely with editors of The UCC Hymnal, 1974 and The New Century Hymnal, 1995.
- APAD Digital Recordings for permission to reproduce some big singing recordings
- The estates of Alan Lomax and George Pullen Jackson for permission to reproduce recordings from the 37th annual session of the Alabama Sacred Harp Singing Convention at Birmingham, Ala., August 1942
- Leonard E. Smith for permission to make available sheet music, MP3 recording and hymn texts
- Icon credits