|Short Name:||Somerset Corry Lowry|
|Full Name:||Lowry, Somerset Corry, 1855-1932|
Lowry, Somerset Corry, M.A., son of James Corry Lowry, Q.C., of Rockdale, Dungannon, Ireland, b. in 1855, and educated at Repton and Trin. Hall, Camb., B.A. 1877, M.A. 1880. Ordained in 1879 to the Curacy of Doncaster. Subsequently Vicar of North Holmwood, Surrey, 1891-1900, and of St. Augustin's, Bournemouth, from 1900. He has published The Work of the Holy Spirit, 1894; Convalescence, 1897; Lessons from the Passion, 1899, &c. His hymns include:—
1. Behold, Lord! how the nations rage, [In Time of War.] Written "For Use during the War between Russia and Japan," in 1904, and printed as a leaflet by Jarvis & Co., Bournemouth.
2. Lord, while afar our brothers fight. [In Time of War.] Written at Holmwood, Surrey, in 1899, after the reverse of Colenso, and extensively used during the S. African War. Given in the 1904 ed. of Hymns Ancient & Modern.
3. 0 Saviour, once again the ebbing year. [For a Memorial Service.] Written at Holmwood, in 1898, for Queen Victoria's annual Service in memory of the Prince Consort. Included in Hymns of the Christ. Centuries, 1903.
4. 0 Son of God, enthroned above. [Advent] Written at Holmwood, in 1892, and given in M. Woodward's Children's Service Book, 1897.
5. Pressing forward. [Processional.] Also in Woodward's Children's Service Book, 1897. Written at Bournemouth, in 1888.
6. Son of God, Eternal Saviour. [For Unity.] Written at Holmwood, in 1893 ; printed in Goodwill, Feb. 1894, and included in the 1904 ed. of Hymns Ancient & Modern.
7. We meet as we have never met before. [Burial.] Written for use after a Child's Funeral, Holmwood, 1892, and given in Woodward's Children's Service Book, 1897.
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology, New Supplement (1907)
|Texts by Somerset Corry Lowry (7)||As||Authority Languages||Instances|
|A Man there lived in Galilee||S.C. Lowry, 1855-1932 (Author)||English||7|
|Lord, while afar our brother fight||Somerset Corry Lowry (Author)||3|
|O Savior, once again the ebbing year||Somerset Corry Lowry (Author)||2|
|Only a little while of brave endeavor||Somerset Corry Lowry (Author)||2|
|Pressing forward, reaching forward||S. Lowry (Author)||5|
|Son of God, eternal Savior||S. C. Lowry, 1855-1932 (Author)||English||50|
|Ye who are banded as comrades and brothers||S. C. Lowry, 1855-1932 (Author)||2|