|Short Name:||H. D. Rawnsley|
|Full Name:||Rawnsley, H. D. (Hardwicke Drummond), 1851-1920|
Rawnsley, Hardwicke Drummond, M.A., son of the Rev. R. D. B. Rawnsley, M.A., sometime Prebendary of Lincoln, was born at Shiplake-on-Thames, Sept. 28,1850, and educated at Ball. Coll., Oxford, B.A. 1875, M.A. 1883; D. 1875, P. 1877; Curate of St. Barnabas, Bristol, 1875-77; Vicar of Low Wray, Lancashire, 1878-83, and Vicar of Crosthwaite since 1883. He became Rural Dean of Keswick 1883, Hon. Canon of Carlisle 1893, and Proctor in Convocation 1905. His publications include: Notes for the Nile, 1892; Literary Associations of the English Lakes, 1894; Memoir of Harvey Goodwin, Bishop of Carlisle, 1896; Sermons on the Logia, 1897, and various books of Poems and Sonnets. The best-known of his hymns are:—
1. Hark! I hear the trumpet sounding. [Mission Hymn for Children.] In the Ch. Missionary Hymn Book, 1899.
2. Lord God, our praise we give. [In Praise of Nature]. Contributed to the 1904 ed. of Hymns Ancient & Modern.
3. Now trumpets cease your sound. [Peace.] In Hymns of the Kingdom . . . for the use of the Christian Democracy. Norwich, 1903.
4. Saviour, Who didst healing give. [St. Luke.] Written at Crosthwaite Vicarage, Dec. 1, 1905, and included in The English Hymnal 1906.
5. Lord Jesu, Who at Lazarus' tomb. [Memorial of the Dead.] Written at Crosthwaite Vicarage, Dec. 2, 1905, for The English Hymnal, 1906.
6. Lord, Who gavest streams and fountains. [For a Dual School.] Written in 1898 at Keswick for the Holiday Association of the Home Readers' Union, and included in the Keswick School Hymn Book.
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology, New Supplement (1907)
|Texts by H. D. Rawnsley (5)||As||Instances|
|Lord God of hosts, whose purpose sure||H. D. Rawnsley (Author)||1|
|Lord Jesu, who at Lazarus' tomb||Hardwicke D. Rawnsley (Author)||2|
|Father, whose will is life and good||Hardwicke D. Rawnsley (Author)||24|
|O God, whose will is life and peace||Hardwicke D. Rawnsley, 1851-1920 (Author)||1|
|Savior, who didst healing give||Hardwicke D. Rawnsley (Author)||2|