Fawcett, John, D.D., was born Jan. 6, 1739 or 1740, at Lidget Green, near Bradford, Yorks. Converted at the age of sixteen under the ministry of G. Whitefield, he at first joined the Methodists, but three years later united with the Baptist Church at Bradford. Having begun to preach he was, in 1765, ordained Baptist minister at Wainsgate, near Hebden Bridge, Yorks. In 1772 he was invited to London, to succeed the celebrated Dr. J. Gill, as pastor of Carter's Lane; the invitation had been formally accepted, the farewell sermon at Wainsgate had been preached and the wagons loaded with his goods for removal, when the love and tears of his attached people prevailed and he decided to remain. In 1777 a new chapel was built for him at Hebden Bridg… Go to person page >
A fulness resides in Jesus our Head. J. Fawcett. [Fulness of Christ]. First published in his Hymns adapted to the Circumstances of Public Worship and Private Devotion, 1782, No. 96; in 5 stanzas of 8 lines. This was reprinted in Rippon's Selection, 1787, No. 150, and from thence passed into various collections in Great Britain and America. Original text in Baptist Psalms & Hymns, 1858-80.
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)