1. Come in, O come! the door stands open now;
I knew Thy voice, Lord Jesus, it was Thou;
The sun has set long since, the storms begin;
’Tis time for Thee, my Savior, O come in!
2. Alas, ill ordered shows the dreary room;
The household stuff lies heaped amidst the gloom,
The table empty stands, the couch undressed;
Ah, what a welcome for th’Eternal Guest!
3. Yet welcome, and tonight this doleful scene
Is e’en itself my cause to hail Thee in;
This dark confusion e’en at once demands
Thine own bright presence, Lord, and ord’ring hands.
4. I seek no more to alter things, or mend,
Before the coming of so great a Friend;
All were at best unseemly, and ’twere ill
Beyond all else to keep Thee waiting still.
5. Come, not to find, but make this troubled heart
A dwelling worthy of Thee as Thou art;
To chase the gloom, the terror, and the sin:
Come, all Thyself, yea come, Lord Jesus, in!
Source: The Cyber Hymnal #943