Shepherd, Anne, née Houlditch, daughter of the Rev. E. H. Houlditch, sometime Rector of Speen, Berkshire, was born at Cowes, Isle of Wight, Sept. 11, 1809; married to Mr. S. Saville Shepherd in 1843; and died at Blackheath, Kent, Jan. 7, 1857. Her Hymns adapted to the Comprehension of Young Minds were published (3rd ed. 1847 5th ed. 1855), and contained 64 hymns. Of these the following have come into common use:—
1. Around the throne of God in heaven.
2. Glory to Jesus, glory. Praise.
3. Here's a message of love. Invitation.
4. I have read of the Saviour's love. The Love of Christ.
5. See where the gentle Jesus reigns. Jesus, the Children's Friend.
Of these hymns the first has by far the widest acceptance, and is fo… Go to person page >
In some hymnals, the editors noted that a hymn's author is unknown to them, and so this artificial "person" entry is used to reflect that fact. Obviously, the hymns attributed to "Author Unknown" "Unknown" or "Anonymous" could have been written by many people over a span of many centuries. Go to person page >