1. For ever we would gaze on Thee,
O Lord, upon the Mount;
With Moses and Elias see
That light from light’s own fount;
2. For ever with the chosen three
Would stand upon that height,
And in that blessèd company
Be plunged in pure delight.
3. For ever would we train the ear
To that celestial Voice;
In Thee, the Son of God, so near
For evermore rejoice.
4. Here would we pitch our constant tent,
For ever here abide;
And dwell in peace and full content,
Dear Master, at Thy side.
5. But no! not yet to man ’tis given
To rest upon that height;
’Tis but a passing glimpse of Heav’n;
We must descend and fight.
6. Beneath the mount is toil and pain;
O Christ, Thy strength impart;
Till we, transfigured, too, shall reign
For ever where Thou art.
Source: The Cyber Hymnal #1508
|Instances (1 - 1 of 1)||Title||First Line||Tune||Tune Key||Author||Meter||Scripture||Date||Subject||Source|
|The Cyber Hymnal #1508||For Ever We Would Gaze on Thee||For ever we would gaze on Thee||SEMPER ASPECTEMUS||Allen W. Chatfield||CM|