1 Forward, Christian, forward! spread abroad the cry;
Shout aloud the watchword, “Jesus draweth nigh!”
Wave the Gospel standard, banner of His love;
Sing, as marching onward to your Home above.
2 Forward, Christian, forward! Christ thy life, thy song;
Trust in “Jesus only,” in His strength be strong;
Christ, the glorious Leader of the blood-bought band;
Follow, closely follow, to the heav’nly land.
3 Sound your Hallelujahs, praise to Jesus bring;
Magnify His glories, of His coming sing;
Sing amidst the conflict, shout the battle-cry:—
“Jesus Christ is coming; on to victory!”
4 Haste, thou glorious morning! welcome, shadeless day!
Chasing with thy sunlight all our tears away;
Haste, O wondrous moment, when ‘midst radiant skies
Sleeping saints and living at His word arise.
Francis, Samuel Trevor, son of an artist, was born at Cheshunt, Herts, in 1835, and is a merchant in London. He has written numerous hymns, which have been printed in various religious newspapers and periodicals during the past 30 years. Of these hymns the following are in the Enlarged London Hymn Book, 1873:—
1. Blessed, blessed Jesus. Pressing Onward.
2. Gracious Saviour, grant Thy word. Lent.
3. Home, home of light and glory. Heaven Desired.
4. I am waiting for the dawning. Heaven Anticipated.
5. Jesus, we remember Thee. Passiontide.
6. O child of sorrow, weary, distressed. Salvation in Jesus only.
7. O Jesus, how great is Thy mercy. Salvation in Jesus.
8. Safe to land, no shadows darken. Death and B… Go to person page >