Alexander, William Lindsay , DD. LL.D., of Pinkieburn, Musselburgh, son of William Alexander, Esq., Leith, born in the vicinity of Leith, August 24, 1808. After studying at the Universities of Edinburgh and St. Andrew's, he became, in 1828, Classical Tutor in what is now The Lancashire College. After studying for some time at Halle, he, in 1835, became minister of North College St. Congregational Church, Edinburgh, removing with his congregation in 1861 to a new church in George IV. Bridge, called the Augustine Church, and retired from the pastoral charge of the same in 1877. He died at Pinkieburn, Dec. 20, 1884. He was, from 1854 to 1881, Professor in the Scottish Congregational Hall. In 1846 he received the degree of D.D. from the Univers… Go to person page >
From distant corners [places] of our land. W. L. Alexander. Written in 1847 for the Annual Meeting of the Congregational Union of Scotland, and is usually printed on the programme of the Anniversary from year to year. It was published in Dr. Alexander's Augustine Hymn Book, 1849, in 7 stanzas of 4 lines, and from thence has passed into various hymnals, in some cases reading "From distant places of our land."
-- John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)