1, Had not the Lord, may Israel say,
Appeared on our side;
2. Had not the Lord us helped, when men
Rose, like the swelling tide:
3. They soon had swallowed us alive;
So fierce their wrath did rowl;
4. The waters had o'erwhelmed us,
The stream gone o'er our soul.
5. Proud waters then had o'er us beat,
And swept us quite away.
6. Blessed be the Lord; who gave us not,
To their sharp teeth, a prey.
7. Our soul's escaped the broken snare,
As birds, from fowler's, fled.
8. Our help is in Jehovah's name;
Who heaven, and earth, hath made.
A New Version of the Psalms of David, 1752