Stanfield, Francis, s. of Clarkson Stanfield the artist, was b. in London Nov. 5, 1836 [sic. 1835], and educated at St. Edmund's College, near Ware. Since his ordination he has principally been engaged in conducting missions and retreats, but he was for some time stationed at Hertford, and has been lately priest in charge at Old Hall Green, Herts. A collected edition of his hymns is being issued by the Benedictine Fathers at Ramsgate. They include:—
i. From his Catholic Hymns, pt. i. 1858, ii. 1860:—
1. All hail, bright feast of jubilation. All Saints.
2. All ye who love your fatherland. Prayer for England.
3. Drear is the nightfall. B. V. M.
4. Hail, Virgin Queen of May's bright gladdening hours. May.
5. Hear th… Go to person page >
Louis Bourgeois (PHH 3) composed or adapted this tune for Psalm 42 for the Genevan psalter. The 1564 harmonization by Claude Goudimel (PHH 6) originally placed the melody in the tenor. An alternate harmonization with descants by Johann Crüger (PHH 42) can be found opposite 41 in the Psalter Hymnal.…