1 Heavenly Father, Jesus taught us
Trustingly to call Thee ours;
Lovingly Thy mercy sought us
Early in life's tender hours.
Thou from Satan's realm hast sav'd us,
Hast adopted us Thine own;
In baptismal water lav'd us,
Given us a fadeless crown.
2 Heavenly Father, Jesus taught us
Thus to call Thee, in His name;
His enduring merits wrought us
Graciously this childhood's claim:
Then with 'Abba, Father!' come we,
Place us wholly in Thy care;
O, let naught e'er wrest us from Thee!
Heed and hear Thy children's prayer.
3 Heavenly Father, Jesus taught us
That, where Thou art, we shall be;
Hence the Holy Spirit brought us
Unto child-like faith in Thee.
In Thy house are mansions spacious,
For the many ransomed blest!
Take us then, O Father gracious!
There are home, sweet peace, and rest.
Cronenwett, Emmanuel, a Lutheran Pastor at Butler, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., contributed to the Evangelical Lutheran Hymnal, Published by Order of the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio and other States, 1880, in addition to 20 translations from the German, the following original hymns, some of which rank with the best in the collection:—
1. A holy state is wedded life. Domestic Worship.
2. Faith is wisdom from on high. Faith.
3. Heavenly Father, Jesus taught us. Prayer.
4. Lord, Thine omniscience I adore. Omniscience.
5. O Triune God, Thy blessing great. Domestic Worship.
6. Of omniscient grace I sing. Omniscience.
7. Of Zion's honour angels sing. Ordination.
8. The precepts of the word are pure.… Go to person page >