1. Help Lord; the godly man decays.
And quits the hated ground;
And faithful men, in these our days,
Are very rarely found.
2. For each one acts a treacherous part,
Deceives his friend with lies;
With flattering Lips, and double heart,
They speak in close disguise.
3. Jehovah surely will, e'er long,
The flattering lips cut off;
With the proud, threatening, boasting tongue,
Which doth profanely scoff.
4. Who say, "our artful tongues alone,
Prevailing force afford;
What sure; are not our lips our own?
Who over us is Lord?"
5. "For sighing of the poor oppressed,
Now (saith the Lord,) I'll rise:
From his oppressors give him rest,
But all his foes despise."
6. Thy word, O Lord, shall firmly last,
And pure from fraud abide;
As silver through the furnace past,
And seven times purified.
7. O Lord, thy promised help, and grace,
Thou strictly wilt observe;
And ever, from this faithless race,
Them carefully preserve.
8. The wicked walk on every side.
And greatly multiply;
When vilest men of fraud, and pride,
Are raised up on high.
A New Version of the Psalms of David, 1752