1 Lo, in Zion a foundation
God the Father laid secure;
Grounded on it our salvation
By His Word of promise sure.
Tho' the wrath of Satan rages
Now and ever, as of yore,
Built upon this Rock of Ages,
Stands the Church forevermore.
2 God in Christ, with man united,
Died the death which justice sought;
Hell dismayed and heav'n delighted
Saw what sov'reign mercy wrought.
God the Son wrought our salvation
By the ransom of His blood:
This is our secure foundation,
This our everlasting good.
3 O Thou theme of patriarchs' story,
Israel's Hope and David's Son,
Prophets' and apostles' glory,
God and Man, forever one!
Ev'ry knee shall bow before Thee,
Ev'ry tongue confess Thee Lord.
Rock of Ages, we adore Thee,
Mighty God, Incarnate Word!
Cronenwett, Emmanuel, a Lutheran Pastor at Butler, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., contributed to the Evangelical Lutheran Hymnal, Published by Order of the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio and other States, 1880, in addition to 20 translations from the German, the following original hymns, some of which rank with the best in the collection:—
1. A holy state is wedded life. Domestic Worship.
2. Faith is wisdom from on high. Faith.
3. Heavenly Father, Jesus taught us. Prayer.
4. Lord, Thine omniscience I adore. Omniscience.
5. O Triune God, Thy blessing great. Domestic Worship.
6. Of omniscient grace I sing. Omniscience.
7. Of Zion's honour angels sing. Ordination.
8. The precepts of the word are pure.… Go to person page >
Display Title: Lo! in Zion a foundationFirst Line: Lo! in Zion a foundationTune Title: WINTHROPAuthor: Rev. Emanuel Cronenwett, D. D.Meter: No. 11Date: 1908Subject: The Church Year | Corner-stone Laying