Manly, Basil, junior, D.D., born in Edgefield County, South Carolina, Dec. 19, 1825, was educated at the State University of Alabama, and entered the Baptist ministry in 1848. He has held several important appointments amongst the Baptists. He is the author of nearly 40 hymns, several of which are in common use. Of these the following 9 appeared in The Baptist Psalmody, 1850, which he edited with his father:—
1. Before a pool the sufferer lay. The Pool of Bethesda.
2. God of the seas, Whose ruling voice. For those at Sea.
3. God with us, 0 glorious [wondrous] name, Manifest in flesh He came. Christmas.
4. Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of hosts in heaven adored. The Divine Holiness.
5. In doubt's dim twilight here I… Go to person page >
The original chant melody associated with this text [i.e., "Eternal Father, strong to save"] is found in most hymnals of denominations where chant has played a role, including the Lutheran tradition, which has produced much organ music on this well-known chant.
The setting here is by John B. Dykes (…