1. Lord, save me from the evil man,
And such as violent are.
2. Who mischief in their hearts contrive,
And daily meet for war.
3. Like serpents,they make sharp their tongues,
To hiss out calumnies;
Concealed, beneath their guileful lips,
The adder's poison lies.
4. Keep me, O Lord, from wicked hands,
From violent men me free;
Who would precipitate my steps,
And think to ruin me.
5. The proud have laid their snares, and cords,
And secret spread their net
Across my path; and artfully
Around me toils have set.
6. The Lord, I then addressed, and said,
"Thou art my God alone;
Lord, hear my supplication's voice,
O hear my piteous moan."
7. O Lord, my God, my safety's strength!
Thy shield o'er me was spread.
When I in battle was exposed.
And covered my head.
8. Grant nor, O Lord, the heart's desire
Of those that wicked be;
Nor further thou their ill designs;
Lest they triumph o'er me.
9. Upon their head, who compass me
With falsehood, and deceit,
Shall all the malice of their lips,
Come down, with all it's weight.
10. Hot burning coals on them shall fall;
They shall be burnt with fire;
In pits, from whence they ne'er shall rise,
Deep plunged shall they expire.
11. Let not an evil speaker find,
0n earth, a resting place:
Evil shall hunt the injurious man,
And him to ruin chase.
12. The Lord, I know, for the oppressed,
And poor, will judgment give.
13. Surely, the just shall praise thy name;
And in thy presence live.
|First Line:||Lord, save me from the evil Man, And such as evil are|
|Place of Origin:||Marblehead, Massachusetts|
|Copyright:||This text in in the public domain in the United States because it was published before 1923.|
|Instances (1 - 1 of 1)||Title||First Line||Tune||Tune Key||Author||Meter||Scripture||Date||Subject||Source|
|A New Version of the Psalms of David: Fitted to the Tunes Used in the Churches, With Several Hymns Out of the Old, and New, Testament #241||Lord, save me from the evil Man||Lord, save me from the evil Man||Psalm 140||1752|