1. O God, Thy soldiers’ crown and guard,
And their exceeding great reward;
From all transgressions set us free,
Who sing Thy martyr’s victory.
2. The pleasures of the world he spurned,
From sin’s pernicious lures he turned;
He knew their joys imbued with gall,
And thus he reached Thy heavenly hall.
3. For Thee through many a woe he ran,
In many a fight he played the man;
For Thee his blood he dared to pour,
And thence hath joy forevermore.
4. We therefore pray Thee, full of love,
Regard us from Thy throne above;
On this Thy martyr’s triumph day,
Wash every stain of sin away.
5. O Christ, most loving King, to Thee,
With God the Father, glory be;
Like glory, as is ever meet,
To God the holy Paraclete.
Source: The Cyber Hymnal #4925
|First Line:||O God, thy soldiers' crown and guard|