1. O Lord, rebuke me not in wrath;
Nor, in thy rage, chastise.
2. Thine arrows stick in me; thy hand
Sore pressing on me lies.
3. Thine anger's heat consumes my flesh,
And leaves no soundness there;
My bones are pained, and find no rest,
While all my sins appear.
4. For o'er my head, my sins have rowled,
They're a vast burden grown;
I cannot bear their punishment,
Nor their least guilt atone.
5. My foolishness hath made my wounds
Stench, and corruption, grow.
6. Distressed in mind, and much bowed down,
I all day mourning go.
7. A violent heat has seized my loins;
And spread through every part.
8. I'm feeble, broken sore, and roar
Through anguish of my heart.
9. All my desire, and groans, O Lord,
To thee are fully known.
1O. My heart's perplexed, my strength doth fail;
Mine eyesight's from me gone.
11. Friends, and companions, stand aloof,
To see my wretched plight;
My kinsmen stand far off, and gaze
At such a dismal sight.
11. Then they, who hunted for my life,
Their snares for me did lay;
And they, that sought my hurt, spread lies,
And framed deceit all day.
13. But, as one deaf, I did not hear;
As dumb, my tongue was tied;
14. Thus, as if quite bereft of sense,
I never once replied.
15. For in the Lord I trust; my God
Will answer when I call.
16. Hear me, (I said,) lest they insult,
And triumph when I fall.
17. For I am prone to halt; whilst grief
Thus constant preys within.
18. To thee, Lord, I'll confess my fault;
With sorrow for my sin.
19. Mean while my foes are lively grown,
Increased in strength and pride;
They, that injuriosly me hate,
Are greatly multiplied.
20. And they that ill for good reward,
A base ungrateful crew,
Are now my adversaries turned;
Because I good pursue.
21. Forsake me not, O Lord; nor far,
My God, from me depart.
22. Make haste to rescue me; for thou,
Lord, my salvation art.
John Barnard, born in Boston, Nov. 6, 1681; in 1752 made a version of psalms with the music; settled at Marblehead; introduced new music ther; died Jan 14, 1770, aged 89.
A Dictionary of Musical Information by John W. Moore, Boston: Oliver, Ditson & Company, 1876
Go to person page >