Faber, Frederick William, D.D., son of Mr. T. H. Faber, was born at Calverley Vicarage, Yorkshire, June 28, 1814, and educated at Balliol College, Oxford, graduating B.A. in 1836. He was for some time a Fellow of University College, in the same University. Taking Holy Orders in 1837, he became Rector of Elton, Huntingdonshire, in 1843, but in 1846 he seceded to the Church of Rome. After residing for some time at St. Wilfrid's, Staffordshire, he went to London in 1849, and established the London "Oratorians," or, "Priests of the Congregation of St. Philip Neri," in King William Street, Strand. In 1854 the Oratory was removed to Brompton. Dr. Faber died Sept. 26, 1863. Before his secession he published several prose works, some of which were… Go to person page >
O mighty Mother! why that light? F. W. Faber. [Whitsuntide.] Published in his Jesus and Mary, &c, 1849, in 21 stanzas of 4 lines on "The Descent of the Holy Ghost." Also in his Hymns, 1862. The hymn, "He comes, He comes, the Holy One," in the Sarum Hymnal, 1868, is compiled from the 1849 text.
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)