Gould, Hannah Flagg, was born at Lancaster, Vermont, in 1789. In her youth her father removed to Newbury-port, Massachusetts. She died in 1865. Her Poems were published in 1832, 1835, and 1841. From these Poems the following pieces are taken:—
1. Alone I walked the ocean strand.
2. Day of God, thou blessed day. (1841.) Sunday.
3. O Thou Who hast spread out the skies. (1832.) For Use at Sea.
4. O Father, to the fields that are ripe. Harvest.
5. Who, when darkness gathered o'er us. American National Hymn.
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology, Appendix, Part II (1907)
Go to person page >
Display Title: He holdeth the waters in his handFirst Line: O thou, who hast spread out the skiesAuthor: Hannah F. GouldMeter: 8.Date: 1891Subject: Eternity | ; God | Father; God | Works of; Mariners | ; Saints | Security of
Display Title: O thou who hast spread out the skiesFirst Line: O thou who hast spread out the skiesAuthor: H. F. GouldMeter: 8's M.Date: 1871Subject: Hymn at Sea | ; Sea | hymn at; Seamen's hymn | ; Storm at sea |