Sacris sollemniis juncta sint gaudia. St. Thomas of Aquino. [Holy Communion.] Written about 1263 for the office for use on Corpus Christi (see "Pange lingua gloriosi corporis "). It is found in the Roman (Venice, 1478; and again, untouched, in 1632); Mozarabic of 1502; Sarum; York; Aberdeen; Paris of 1736, and other Breviaries. It is generally appointed for Matins on Corpus Christi, but in the Sarum for first Vespers. The text in 6 stanzas and a doxology will be found in Daniel i., No. 240, in manuscript circa 1330 and another of the beginning of the 14th century… [Rev. James Mearns, M.A.]
Translations in common use:—
1. Let us with hearts renewed. By E. Caswall. Published in his Lyra Catholica, 1849, p. 113, and again in the 1860 Appendix to the H. Noted. No. 177. In Caswall’s Hymns and Poems, 1873, p. 64,. it is altered to "Let old things pass away." This form of the text is in the Marquess of Bute's Roman Breviaries translated into English, 1879, and O. Shipley's Annus Sanctus, 1884.
2. At this our solemn Feast. By R. F. Littledale, in the Antiphoner and Grail, 1880, and again in theHymne, 1882. Altered in The Office Hymn Book, 1889, to "May this our solemn Feast."
Translations not in common use:—
1. The solemn Feasts our joyful Songs inspire. Primer. 1706.
2. Solemn rites arise to view. L. Williams. 1839.
3. High be our service-—our hearts with joy bounding. W. J. Blew. 1852-55.
4. Welcomed with joy be our hallowed solemnity. F. Trappes. 1865.
5. Let this our solemn Feast. J. D. Chambers. 1852.
6. On this most solemn festival your joyful anthems raise. J. Wallace. 1874.
7. Welcome with jubilee This glad solemnity. J. D. Aylward, in O. Shipley'sAnnus Sanctu. 1884.
--Excerpts from John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)
|Instances (1 - 11 of 11)||Title||First Line||Tune||Tune Key||Author||Meter||Scripture||Date||Subject||Source|
|American Catholic Hymnal: an extensive collection of hymns, Latin chants, and sacred songs for church, school, and home, including Gregorian masses, vesper psalms, litanies... #428||Sacris Solemniis||Sacris solemniis||1913|
|Cantate Omnes ... with Supplement #d99||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Thomas Aquinas||1958|
|Cantiones Sacrae: a Collection of Chants and Hymns. 2nd ed. #d88||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Thomas Aquinas||1887|
|English and Latin Hymns, or Harmonies to Part I of the Roman Hymnal: for the Use of Congregations, Schools, Colleges, and Choirs #164||Sacris solemniis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemniis juncta sint gaudia||1884|
|Laudate Hymnal and Choir Book #d91||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Thomas Aquinas||1957|
|Manual of Catholic Melodies: or, a Compilation of Hymns, Anthems, Psalms ... #d118||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Thomas Aquinas||1843|
|Roman Hymnal, Complete edition: a Complete Manual of English Hymns and Latin Chants. 25th ed. #d136||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Thomas Aquinas||1884|
|The Complete Sodality Manual and Hymn Book #d73||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Thomas Aquinas||1863|
|The Parish Hymnal #39||Sacris solemniis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemniis juncta sint gaudia||1915|
|The Parochial Hymnal, a Select Collection #d112||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia||Thomas Aquinas||1936|
|The St. Gregory Hymnal and Catholic Choir Book. Singers' ed., Melody ed. #230||Sacris solemniis juncta sint gaudia||Sacris solemniis juncta sint gaudia||1920|