1. Shepherd of souls, with pitying eye
The thousands of our Israel see:
To Thee, in their behalf we cry,
Ourselves but newly found in Thee.
2. See, where o’er desert wastes they err,
And neither food nor feeder have,
Nor fold, nor place of refuge near;
For no man cares their souls to save.
3. Thy people, Lord, are sold for naught,
Nor know they their Redeemer nigh;
They perish, whom Thyself hast bought;
Their souls for lack of knowledge die.
4. The pit its mouth hath opened wide,
To swallow up its careless prey;
Why should they die, when Thou hast died,
Hast died to bear their sins away?
5. Why should the foe Thy purchase seize?
Remember, Lord, Thy dying groans:
The meed of all Thy sufferings these;
O claim them for Thy ransomed ones!
6. Extend to these Thy pardoning grace;
To these be Thy salvation showed:
O add them to Thy chosen race!
O sprinkle all their hearts with blood!
7. Still let the publicans draw near:
Open the door of faith and Heaven;
And grant their hearts Thy word to hear,
And witness all their sins forgiven.
Source: The Cyber Hymnal #6034