1. Shout to Jehovah all the Earth;
2. Serve him with chearful, Heart and Voice;
Approach his House with sacred Mirth,
Before him triumph, and rejoice.
3. Know that Jehovah's God alone,
!ho us and all did Being give;
We are his People, not our own,
The Sheep that on his Pastures live.
4. Enter his Gates with thankful Joy,
And, in his courts, his Praise proclaim;
Your grateful Songs, in Thanks employ,
And ever bless his holy Name.
5. Because Jehovah he is good,
His Mercy is forever sure;
His Truth, thro' Ages past, has stood,
And shall, thro' ev'ry Age, endure.
John Barnard, born in Boston, Nov. 6, 1681; in 1752 made a version of psalms with the music; settled at Marblehead; introduced new music ther; died Jan 14, 1770, aged 89.
A Dictionary of Musical Information by John W. Moore, Boston: Oliver, Ditson & Company, 1876
Go to person page >