The mighty god, Jehovah spake, Did through the earth his summons makeAuthor: John Barnard
Published in 1 hymnal
1. The mighty God, Jehovah spake;
Did through the Earth his summons make,
From rising to the setting sun,
2. From Zion, his peculiar seat,
Whose beauty's perfect and complete,
God shines in glorious renown.
3. Our God shall come, silent no more;
Devouring fire shall march before,
And raging tempests round him fly.
4. His solemn judgment to attend,
Throughout all heaven, and earth, he'll send
His awful summons, from on high.
5. "Let all my saints assembled be,
That covenant have confirmed with me,
By sacrifice; with hopes to atone.
5. The heavenly Hosts, who present are,
His spotless justice shall declare;
For God himself is judge alone.
7. "Attend my people, Israel hear;
While I against thee witness bear;
I'm God, thy covenant God am I.
8. Of sacrifice, and burnt offering,
I'll no complaint against thee bring;
These daily smoke before mine Eee.
9. "These offerings no amends can make:
No bullock from thy stall I'll take,
Nor any he-goat from thy fold.
10. The Beasts in forests more confined,
And herds on thousand hills combined,
They all belong to me of old.
11. "I number all the mountain fowl;
Wild beasts that in the desert prowl,
All subject stand my face before.
12. If I be pinched with hunger could,
I need not ask of thee my food;
The world is mine, with all it's store.
13. "That I the flesh of Bulls, dost think,
Could eat? or blood of goats should drink?
14. Thy heart in thanks to God up raise;
Thy vows unto the highest pay.
15. Devoutly in thy troubles pray;
I'll save; and thou my name shalt praise."
16. The wicked thus doth God impeach;
"What right hast thou my laws to teach?
Or in thy mouth my covenant take?
17. "hough thou of sacred things may'st prate;
Yet my instruction thou dost hate,
And cast my word behind thy back.
18. "When thou didst see a thief, thy care
Was to agree, and with him share;
And with adulterers didst join.
19. Thy mouth thou gavest to reproach,
Thy tongue deceit and lies did broach;
And mischief was thy chief design.
20. "With joy thou wound'st thy brother's name,
Dost thine own mother's son defame.
21. This thou hast done; and didst surmise,
While silent, I was like to thee;
Now thou my sharp reproof shalt see;
I'll rank thy sins before thine eyes."
22. Mark this, ye who forgetful are
Of God; lest I in pieces tear,
And there to save shall none be found.
2e. He honors me who offers praise;
And he, who orders right his ways,
With God's salvation shall be crowned.
A New Version of the Psalms of David, 1752
|Instances (1 - 1 of 1)||Title||First Line||Tune||Tune Key||Author||Meter||Scripture||Date||Subject||Source|
|A New Version of the Psalms of David: Fitted to the Tunes Used in the Churches, With Several Hymns Out of the Old, and New, Testament #95||The mighty God, Jehovah spake||The mighty God, Jehovah spake||Psalm 50||1752|