1. Through all my days, I'll bless the Lord;
My tongue shall dwell upon his praise.
2. My soul shall glory in the Lord,
The oppressed shall hear, and comfort raise.
3. O magnify the Lord with me;
Come, let us join, to exalt his name.
4. I sought the Lord, who heard; and me
From all my fears to rescue came.
5. On me they look, they gathered round;
And gladness shone in every face.
6. "This poor man cried, and favor found,
God heard, and saved him from Distress."
7. The mighty angels of the Lord,
Encamped, as guards, around them lie;
And safe deliverance them afford
Who to his arms for shelter fly.
8. O try how good Jehovah is:
They're blessed who in his strength confide.
9. O fear the Lord, ye saints of his;
And all your wants shall be supplied.
10. Though the young lions range the plain,
And hungry, roar for lack of food;
Yet none shall seek the Lord in vain,
Nor want supplies of real good.
11. "O come, ye children, hear my word;
I'll teach you how to fear the Lord.
12. What man, long life desires to see
That all his days may prosperous be!
13. Thy tongue keep pure from language vile;
Preserve thy lips from speaking guile:
14. All vice forsake; be good, and kind;
Seek peace, preserve a friendly mind."
15. The Lord the just, with favor, views;
His ears are open to their cry.
16. But wrath the wicked man pursues;
To raise his name beneath the sky.
17. When just men cry, the Lord doth hear;
From all their troubles sets them free.
18. To brokenhearted he is near;
The contrite spirit save will he.
19. The righteous many griefs endure;
But God delivers out of all.
20. He keepeth all his bones secure;
Not one of them be broken shall.
21. Evil the wicked slays; and them
Their guilt consumes, who hate the just.
22. His servant's soul, God will redeem;
And none shalt fail who in him trust.
John Barnard, born in Boston, Nov. 6, 1681; in 1752 made a version of psalms with the music; settled at Marblehead; introduced new music ther; died Jan 14, 1770, aged 89.
A Dictionary of Musical Information by John W. Moore, Boston: Oliver, Ditson & Company, 1876
Go to person page >