Montgomery, James, son of John Montgomery, a Moravian minister, was born at Irvine, Ayrshire, Nov. 4, 1771. In 1776 he removed with his parents to the Moravian Settlement at Gracehill, near Ballymena, county of Antrim. Two years after he was sent to the Fulneck Seminary, Yorkshire. He left Fulneck in 1787, and entered a retail shop at Mirfield, near Wakefield. Soon tiring of that he entered upon a similar situation at Wath, near Rotherham, only to find it quite as unsuitable to his taste as the former. A journey to London, with the hope of finding a publisher for his youthful poems ended in failure; and in 1792 he was glad to leave Wath for Shefield to join Mr. Gales, an auctioneer, bookseller, and printer of the Sheffield Register newspap… Go to person page >
While saints and angels, glorious King. J. Montgomery. [Charitable Objects.] Published in Dr. Sutton's Psalms & Hymns, . . . . , Sung at the Parish Church, Sheffield, 2nd ed., en¬larged, 1816, No. 102, in 6 stanzas of 4 lines. It was repeated in Cotterill's Selection, 1819, No. 255; in Montgomery's Christian Psalmist, 1825, No. 540, and in his Original Hymns, 1853, No. 345. In the last two works it is headed "For the Children in a Charity School." It was probably written to be sung at an anniversary of one of the Sheffield Charity Schools. Sometimes it begins with stanza iv. as "Father Thy heavenly gifts afford."
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)