Cronenwett, Emmanuel, a Lutheran Pastor at Butler, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., contributed to the Evangelical Lutheran Hymnal, Published by Order of the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio and other States, 1880, in addition to 20 translations from the German, the following original hymns, some of which rank with the best in the collection:—
1. A holy state is wedded life. Domestic Worship.
2. Faith is wisdom from on high. Faith.
3. Heavenly Father, Jesus taught us. Prayer.
4. Lord, Thine omniscience I adore. Omniscience.
5. O Triune God, Thy blessing great. Domestic Worship.
6. Of omniscient grace I sing. Omniscience.
7. Of Zion's honour angels sing. Ordination.
8. The precepts of the word are pure.… Go to person page >
Author: Martin Opitz
Opitz, Martin, son of Sebastian Opitz, butcher at Bunzlau in Silesia, was born at Bunzlau, Dec. 23, 1597. He entered the University of Frankfurt a. Oder in 1618, and in 1619 went to Heidelberg, where he acted as a private tutor, and studied literature and philosophy at the University, paying also short visits to Strassburg and Tübingen. When the University was threatened by the Spanish troops (they sacked the town under Tilly in Sept. 1622), Opitz left Heidelberg in Oct. 1620, and with his friend, H. A. Hamilton (a member of a Danish noble family, travelled through Holland, Friesland and Jutland. In the spring of 1621 he returned to Silesia through Lübeck, and at Easter, 1622, became Professor of Philosophy and Poetry in the Gymnasium, fo… Go to person page >
Display Title: Zion, awake and brighten!First Line: Zion, awake and brighten!Tune Title: INNSPRUCK (New) (Nun ruhen alle Wälder)Author: Martin Opitz; Rev. Emanuel Cronenwett, D. D.Meter: No. 34Date: 1908Subject: The Church Year | Epiphany; Second Sunday of Advent |