Tucker, Rev. William, was admitted priest and gentleman of the Chapel Royal and minor canon and precentor of Westminster Abbey in 1660. He composed some excellent church music, some of which is still extant. An anthem, 'O give thanks,' is printed in Page's 'Harmonia Sacra,' and is also included (with another) in the Tudway Collection (Harl. MS. 7339). A 'Benedicite' is in MS. in the library of the Royal College of Music, and a service and 6 anthems at Ely Cathedral. He appears also to have been copyist at the Chapel Royal. He died Feb. 28, 1678-9, and was buried March 1, in Westminster Abbey cloisters.
Dictionary of Music and Musicians (A.D. 1450-1889),, 1895, by Sir George Grove Go to person page >