1. Except the Lord do build the House,
The Builders labour all in vain:
Unless the Lord the City keep,
In vain the Guards their Watch maintain.
2. To rise betimes, and sit up late,
And eat thy Bread with Grief opprest,
Is vain; without such carking Cares,
The Lord gives his Beloved Rest.
3. Lo; Children are God's Heritage;
The fruitful Womb is his Reward.
4. As Arrows in a strong Man's Hand,
So Sons of Youth are Parents Guard.
5. Happy the Man, whose Quiver's fill'd
With Shafts, that on him ready wait;
He shall not be asham'd to speak
With th' Adversary in the Gate.
|First Line:||Except the Lord do build the House|