|Short Name:||Carey Bonner|
|Full Name:||Bonner, Carey, 1859-1938|
Pseudonyms: E. Rawdon Bailey, A. Bryce, Nora C. E. Byrne, R. Y. Harding, Ernest B. Leslie, Frank Ernest Newton, Edwyn Vincent, Hermann von Müller
Bonner, Carey, was born in Southwark, Surrey, May 1, 1859. He entered the Baptist ministry after studying at Rawdon College, and held pastorates at Sale, Manchester (1884-95) and Portland, Southampton (1895-1900). Since Sept. 1900 he has been Secretary of the Sunday School Union. He edited words and music of the Garland of New Sunday School Music (issued in parts, 1881 and 1882; complete edition 1886), and the S. S. Hymnary, 1905; and the music of the Christian Endeavour Hymnal, 1896, and the Junior Hymnal, 1906. The longer hymns contributed by him to these works include:—
1. Father, hear Thy children's voices. [S. S. Anniversary.] Written 1905 for a Sunday School Festival at Toledo, Ohio, 1905, as above, No. 362.
2. Gently a voice is pleading. [Come to Jesus.] Written 1902, first published in his Hymns for the Mission, 1902, No. 41; 1905, No. 225.
3. God of little children. [Reverence.] 1882, as above; edition 1886, No. 39. Also in School Hymns, 1891, and Junior Hymnal, 1906.
4. In hope, and love, and steadfast faith. [For Conventions.] Written 1896; first published 1896, as above, No. 369.
5. Now when from one another parting. [Parting Hymn.] Written 1896; 1896, as above, No. 383.
6. We join our hearts and voices. [The Children’s Friend,] 1882, as above; edition 1886, No. 25. Also in School Hymns, 1891, No. 388. See also under "Alleluia dulce carmen," p. 1602, i. [Rev. James Mearns, M.A.]
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology, New Supplement (1907)
|Texts by Carey Bonner (9)||As||Instances|
|Ere we part, Lord, whisper "Peace"||Carey Bonner (Author)||1|
|Father, hear thy children's voices||Carey Bonner (Author)||2|
|From many lands, one loyal host||Carey Bonner (Author)||2|
|God of love and God of light||Carey Bonner (Author)||4|
|Hallelujah, song of triumph||Carey Bonner (Author)||3|
|Lord of all things bright and fair||Carey Bonner (Author)||7|
|Marching, marching, onward we are||Carey Bonner (Author)||2|
|Praise him, praise him, all his children praise him!||Carey Bonner, 1859-1938 (Author)||3|
|Silently, silently, fadeth the light||Carey Bonner (Author)||2|