Montgomery, James, son of John Montgomery, a Moravian minister, was born at Irvine, Ayrshire, Nov. 4, 1771. In 1776 he removed with his parents to the Moravian Settlement at Gracehill, near Ballymena, county of Antrim. Two years after he was sent to the Fulneck Seminary, Yorkshire. He left Fulneck in 1787, and entered a retail shop at Mirfield, near Wakefield. Soon tiring of that he entered upon a similar situation at Wath, near Rotherham, only to find it quite as unsuitable to his taste as the former. A journey to London, with the hope of finding a publisher for his youthful poems ended in failure; and in 1792 he was glad to leave Wath for Shefield to join Mr. Gales, an auctioneer, bookseller, and printer of the Sheffield Register newspap… Go to person page >
Give glory to the Lord. J. Montgomery. [Praise.] Written June 1st, 1836 ["M. MSS."], and published as a fly-sheet for the Whitsuntide gathering of the Sheffield Sunday School Union, 1839, in 6 stanzas of 4 line. It is No. 91 in his Original Hymns, 1853. It is in limited use in America.
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)