1. Hear the wail across the sea
Comes from millions unto thee—
Weary ones who might be free
Did they but know of Calvary.
Wailing, wailing o’er the sea;
Wailing, wailing unto thee;
Wailing, wailing to be free;
Go, tell them all of Calvary.
2. Hear the wail of broken hearts
Rise from slavery’s cruel marts!
There’s a balm for bitter smarts—
The balm that’s found at Calvary. [Refrain]
3. Wailing of the prophet cursed,
Of fanatics, wildest, worst,
Help us, Lord, their chains to burst,
And set them free by Calvary. [Refrain]
4. Hear the wail from priest-crushed lands,
Man’s device for God’s commands—
Forms at countless as the sands
Have blocked the way to Calvary. Refrain]
5. Wailings reach this favored shore,
Wailings ceasing nevermore;
Men are dying evermore;
Go, tell them all of Calvary. [Refrain]