1. Jehovah, God of vengeance, shine
Forth, in thy justice, bright,
2. Arise, thou judge of all the earth;
Thy haughty foes requite.
3. How long, O Lord, shall wicked men,
How long, triumph, shall they?
4. How long trow out,and hard things speak,
And glory in their way?
5. Thy people, Lord, they grind to dust;
Thy heritage oppress;
6. The widow, and the stranger, slay;
And murder, fatherless.
7. "Yet say they, God doth not behold;
Nor Jacob's God discern."
8. Ye brutish people think; ye fools,
When will ye wisdom learn.
9 Shall he, who plants the ear, not hear?
Nor see, who formed man's eyes?
10. He that whole nations doth rebuke,
Fools shall not be chastise?
Shall not he know, who teacheth men
The knowledge they attain?
11. Jehovah knows the thoughts of man,
That they are very vain.
12. Blest is the man! the Lord corrects,
And in his law has taught.
13. In evil days he rests; till pits
Are for the wicked wrought.
14. The Lord will not cast off his flock;
Nor heritage quite leave.
15. Judgment to justice shall return;
To it the good shall cleave.
16. Against the wicked and unjust,
Who'll on my side appear?
17. My soul had soon, in silence, dwelt,
Had not the Lord, been near.
18. When e'er I cried, my foot slips; Lord,
Thy mercy held me right.
19. Amidst my many troubled thoughts,
Thy comforts me delight.
20. Shall unjust thrones have part with thee,
Which mischief frame by law?
21. They meet, and join, the guiltless blood
Of righteous men to draw.
22. But thou, Jehovah, still hast been
To me, a refuge high;
My God, who art my only rock,
Where I from shelter fly.
23. He shall, their own iniquity,
Upon their heads, repay;
The Lord, our God, in their own guilt,
Them utterly shall slay.
A New Version of the Psalms of David, 1752
|Instances (1 - 1 of 1)||Title||First Line||Tune||Tune Key||Author||Meter||Scripture||Date||Subject||Source|
|A New Version of the Psalms of David: Fitted to the Tunes Used in the Churches, With Several Hymns Out of the Old, and New, Testament #170||Jehovah, God of Vengeance, shine||Jehovah, God of Vengeance, shine||Psalm 94||1752|