1. Jehovah reigns, let all the earth,
And let the multitude of isles
Unite their cheerful voice.
2. Thick clouds and darkness him surround,
His counsels are unknown;
But righteousness, and judgment, are
The basis of his throne.
3. Fire marched before; his foes around
Sink in the burning flood.
4. His lightnings blazed throughout the world;
Earth saw, and trembling stood.
5. The solid mountains melt, like wax,
Before Jehovah's face;
Before that Lord, whose sovereign rule,
O'er all the earth, takes place.
6. The extended heavens, his righteousness,
Have punished all abroad;
And all the world have clearly seen,
The glories of our God.
7. May all that graven idols serve,
And boast in earthly clods,
Of all their folly be ashamed;
Him worship all ye gods.
8. Sion, and Judah's daughters, heard,
With joy, thy judgments, owned.
9. For o'er the earth, thou, Lord, art high,
Above all gods enthroned.
10. O ye that love, and fear, the Lord,
All evil disesteem;
The holy souls he'll guard, and them
From wicked hands redeem.
11. For just, and upright men, are sown,
Immortal light, and bliss.
12. Rejoice, ye just, in God; with thanks,
Record, his holiness.
A New Version of the Psalms of David, 1752