1. The mighty God, Jehovah spake,
To the whole earth did call;
From earliest rising of the sun,
Unto it's latest fall.
2. From Zlon, famous in renown,
Whole beauty is complete;
The mighty God hath clearly shined,
In all his royal state.
3. Silent no more; our God shall come.
Before him flames devour;
And troops of raging tempests, round
About him, fiercely pour.
4. Through heaven above, and earth beneath,
His summons he shall send;
That all his people, every where,
Before their judge attend.
5. "Gather together, unto me,
My Saints," (Jehovah said,)
"Those that, with me, a covenant firm,
By sacrifice, have made."
6. The heavenly host, his righteousness,
Shall clearly see, and own;
His spotless justice shall appear;
For God is judge alone.
7. "Hear, O my people, and I'll speak;
I'll swiftly testify
Against thee, O my Israel;
God, e'en thy God, am I.
8. I'll not reprove thee with neglects
Of legal sacrifice;
Or burnt offerings; the smoke of these,
Before me, daily rise.
9 "No bullocks from thy stall, or goats
From Fold, will I accept.
10. The forest beasts are mine, and herds
On thousand hills are kept.
11. I know the mountain fowl; I claim
The wild beasts of the fields.
12. "If hungry, need I beg? The world
Is mine, and all it yields.
13. "Or eat the flesh of bulls, or drink
The blood of goats, will I?
14. Give thanks to God, and daily pay
Your vows to the Most High.
15. In thy distress, thy heart to me,
In prayer, devoutly raise;
Then I'll deliver from thy fears,
And thou my name shall praise."
16. But to the wicked, God doth say,
"How dar'st thou to proclaim
My statutes? or, with thy vile mouth,
My sacred covenant name?
17. Seeing thou dost instruction hate;
And cast my word behind;
18. When thieves thou saw'st; thou didst consent;
And with adulterers join.
19. "Thy mouth, in slander, is employed;
Thy tongue doth falsehood frame.
20. Thou'rt pleased thy brother to reproach,
Thy mother's son defame.
21. This thou hast done; I silence kept;
Thou didst of me surmise,
I'm like thyself; I'll thee reprove,
And rank them in thine eyes.
22. "Now then, consider this, ye fools,
Who God forgotten have;
Lest I in pieces should you tear,
And there be none to save.
23. The man, that offers hearty praise,
Best glorifieth me;
And him that ordereth right his ways,
Shall God's salvation see."
|Instances (1 - 1 of 1)||Title||First Line||Tune||Tune Key||Author||Meter||Scripture||Date||Subject||Source|
|A New Version of the Psalms of David: Fitted to the Tunes Used in the Churches, With Several Hymns Out of the Old, and New, Testament #92||The mighty God, Jehovah spake||The mighty God, Jehovah spake||Psalm 50||1752|