Author: S. Dryden Phelps
Phelps, Sylvanus Dryden, D.D., was born at Suffield, Connecticut, May 15, 1816, and educated at Brown University, where he graduated in 1844. In 1846 he became pastor of the first Baptist Church, New Haven. Dr. Phelps is the Editor of The Christian Secretary, Hartford. His publications include, Eloquence of Nature, and Other Poems, 1842; Sunlight and Hearthlight, 1856; the Poet's Song, 1867, &c. He is the author of the following hymns:—
1. Christ, Who came my soul to save. Holy Baptism.
2. Did Jesus weep for me? Lent.
3. Saviour, Thy dying love. Passiontide.
4. Sons of day, arise from slumber. Home Missions.
5. This rite our blest Redeemer gave. Holy Baptism.
Of these Nos. 1 and 4 appeared in the Baptist ed. of the Ply… Go to person page >