I. Now give Thanks, ye Old and Young;
Praise the Lord with Heart and tongue:
For his Mercy still supplies
All Mankinds Necessities.
As he feeds the Birds and Beasts,
So he makes us all his Guests;
Giving daily joyous Feasts.
II. Praise him, for it is but just;
He has rais'd us from the Dust;
Gives us Being; gives us Breath,
Saves us from eternal Death:
From the Time that we remove
From the womb, we taste his Love,
And it daily doth improve.
III. Soon as we from Dust are rear'd,
Our Provisions are prepar'd.
Mercy feeds us in the womb,
Till we break the living Tomb:
Ev'ry Feature of our Frame
Speaks the Wisdom of his Name
From whose Love our Being came.
IV. God adorns this Earth below;
Ev'ry where Provisions grow;
Hills and Dales, the Wood and Field
Our Creator's Blessings yield.
Wine and Bread, the Best of Food,
He bestows on Bad and Good;
Were his Love but understood!
V. Seas and Rivers Fish afford
For us Boarders on the Lord:
Birds and Cattle multiply
In a vast Variety;
Nay, where'er we turn our sight,
God displays for our Delight
Endless Wonders of his Might.
VI. Lord, enlarge our narrow Sense,
So t'adore thy Providence,
That our Body, Soul and MInd,
May to thee be all resign'd,
Keeping up a thankful Frame,
Till we praise thy glorious Name
At the Supper of the Lamb.
Selnecker, Nicolaus, D.D., son of Georg Selnecker (Selneccer, Schellenecker, who was protonotarius to the Nürnberg magistracy, but lived at Hersbruck near Nürnberg) was born at Hersbruck Dec. 5, 1532. In 1536 he was removed to Nürnberg, and became during his school time, when only twelve years old, organist at the chapel in the Kaiserburg there. He went to the university of Wittenberg in 1550 (where he became a favourite pupil of Melanchthon), graduated M.A. on July 31, 1554, and subsequently lectured as a privat-docent, sometimes to 200 students. In the end of 1557 he was appointed second court preacher at Dresden, and tutor to the heir apparent Prince Alexander, having also to supervise the education of the choirboys of the royal chape… Go to person page >
Translator: Johann Christian Jacobi
Jacobi, John Christian, a native of Germany, was born in 1670, and appointed Keeper of the Royal German Chapel, St. James's Palace, London, about 1708. He held that post for 42 years, and died Dec. 14, 1750. He was buried in the Church of St. Paul's, Covent Garden. His publications included :—
(1) A Collection of Divine Hymns, Translated from the High Dutch. Together with their Proper Tunes and Thorough Bass. London: Printed and Sold by J. Young, in St. Paul’s Churchyard; . . . 1720. This edition contains 15 hymns. Two years later this collection, with a few changes in the text and much enlarged, was republished as (2) Psalmodia Germanica; or a Specimen of Divine Hymns. Translated from the High Dutch. Together with their Proper Tunes… Go to person page >