How, William Walsham, D.D., son of William Wybergh How, Solicitor, Shrewsbury, was born Dec. 13, 1823, at Shrewsbury, and educated at Shrewsbury School and Wadham College, Oxford (B.A. 1845). Taking Holy Orders in 1846, he became successively Curate of St. George's, Kidderminster, 1846; and of Holy Cross, Shrewsbury, 1848. In 1851 he was preferred to the Rectory of Whittington, Diocese of St. Asaph, becoming Rural Dean in 1853, and Hon. Canon of the Cathedral in 1860. In 1879 he was appointed Rector of St. Andrew's Undershaft, London, and was consecrated Suffragan Bishop for East London, under the title of the Bishop of Bedford, and in 1888 Bishop of Wakefield. Bishop How is the author of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge Commen… Go to person page >
The city paved with Gold. Bishop W. W. How. [The New Jerusalem.] "Written for Church Hymns, 1871. Designed specially as a counteractive to the merely materialist and futurist tone of many of the ordinary 'Jerusalem' hymns.” This is attempted to be accomplished by giving a spiritual meaning to the “gold "and "gates of pearl," &c, of the New Jerusalem, as for instance:—
"The gates of pearl are there
In penitential tears,
Bright as a jewel rare
Each saintly grace appears:
We track the path saints trod of old,
And lo! the pavement is of gold!"
is said of the "true kingdom" within the man. Although well conceived, and executed in good style, it has failed to gain attention, and is very limited in its use.
-- John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)
Composed by John Darwall (b. Haughton, Staffordshire, England, 1731; d. Walsall, Staffordshire, England, 1789), DARWALL'S 148TH was first published as a setting for Psalm 148 in Aaron William's New Universal Psalmodist (1770) with only soprano and bass parts. The harmonization dates from the ninete…